February 24, 2010.By Ed Huycuk, MinnPost.
The 2010-2011 Ordway Center for the Performing Arts season mixes in national tours, international artists and local productions.
For me, the most exciting news is that Theatre Latte Da, one of my favorite local companies, will present "Evita" this fall. Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice are far from my favorites, but if anyone can make this work, it's the folks at Latte Da.
Another high-quality local company, Mu Performing Arts, presents "Mu Daiko: Soul of the Drum" in June 2011. Mu Daiko has brought traditional Japanese drumming to audiences in the Twin Cities and around the world for the past 12 years.
The rest of the 2010-2011 season includes:
- "The Gospel at Colonus," Aug. 5-11, featuring the Blind Boys of Alabama, the Soul Stirrers and the Steeles.
- "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," Dec. 7, 2010, to Jan. 2, 2011. It's an Ordway production with American Idol finalist Anthony Fedorov slated in the title role.
- "Stomp," March 29 to April 3, 2011.
- "Next to Normal," May 10-22, 2011. Tony-Award winning musical straight from Broadway.
- "Guys and Dolls," June 15-26, 2011.
- "9 to 5: The Musical," July 12-24, 2011.
The Flint Hills International Children's Festival will return in 2011 with family days on June 4 and 5. The event will include international and local performers, plenty of international cuisine and other events in and around the Ordway.
Also announced is the 2010-11 Target World Music and Dance Season:
- Bridgman/Packer Dance, Oct. 12
- CONTRA-TIEMPO, Nov. 19
- Tiempo Libre, Nov. 20
- Angélique Kidjo, Jan. 21, 2011
- Terrance Simien & The Zydeco Experience, Feb. 13, 2011
- BeijingDance/LDTX, April 5, 2011TU Dance, May 6, 2011
Season subscriptions are on sale now. More information about these events is available by calling 651-224-4222 or visiting online.